Dungeness Crab Cakes
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or scallions
2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely diced celery
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning mix
juice of half a lemon
1 pound fresh Dungeness crab meat, picked over with any cartilage removed
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs plus additional
1 cup toasted panko bread crumbs for breading
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Add the egg to a medium-size mixing bow and whisk to combine. Add the scallions, red bell pepper, celery, dill, Old Bay seasoning mix and the lemon juice. Mix together and add the crab meat and 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs, adding additional bread crumbs if needed in order that the mixture holds its shape when squeezed together.
4. Divide the mixture into six equal portions and shape each portion into a small cake about 3-inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick.
5. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, add the 1 cup of bread crumbs to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, spread the crumbs out on the lined baking sheet and toast them in the oven just until golden. Remove and cool.
7. Coat each cake in a shallow dish of bread crumbs, pressing the crumbs firmly into the surface.
Place the cakes on the same parchment lined baking sheet used for the crumb toasting and transfer to the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving plate.